When we combine state-of-the-art HVAC systems with our top-of-the-line insulation package and building envelope, the result is spectacular energy performance.
Geothermal heat pumps are among the most efficient HVAC devices produced today. These systems are standard(!) at our Model 1, 2, and 3 homes and rehabilitated homes in the Botanical Grove neighborhood. Here’s a primer on how we install our systems (with thanks to Ed Wieman of Hauser Mechanical for his design expertise):
1. Drill two 150’ deep ground wells and insert looped piping (see diagram below). The conditioned water we run through the piping absorbs the earth’s free constant 60ish temperature.
2. Run pipes into basement below grade and fit to the heat pump.
3. Install house ductwork to supply tempered air to the house, tightly seal all duct connections.
4. Connect energy recovery ventilator (ERV) to the ductwork to supply fresh air into the house and remove odor and moisture from the bathrooms – no wasted bathroom air vented out the roof.
5. Pipe the electric water heater into the Desuper connection loop inside the geothermal heat pump – free hot water when the air conditioner is running!
6. Wire the programmable thermostat and startup the system. Enjoy the low utility bills.
Take a look at the HVAC system comparisons from our supplier, Bosch, for the great energy savings and carbon footprint reduction you can expect from our systems.
Based on the HERS rating measurements that our independent energy auditors have calculated, our new homes perform almost 50% better than a typical new home. If you’d like to know more, please visit our display home at 4258 McRee and we’ll show you in person.